Tuesday, 24 October 2017

Diana Joggers


When the timing works out and I apply/get selected for pattern testing, it's the best. Once in a while it's really nice to have a deadline, a convenient forum for feedback, and help with instructions. This testing experience was one of the best that I've ever had. I made 3 muslins and ended up really happy with my pants. I also made a pair of shorts after that were a dud, but that will be for another blog post.


On to the pattern! I have been wanting to make a pair of joggers for months now. Unfortunately, I have also decided not to buy new patterns until I have made all the ones that I bought and intend to make, and I have been trying to avoid buying new fabric as well. As soon as I saw this testing call, I knew it was the perfect solution. I already had fabric that would be perfect, so not only was I not buying a pattern, I didn't need to buy fabric either! It was a perfect workaround to my rule. Unfortunately when I went to Fabricville to buy Wonder Tape I fell in love with one of their new fabrics and bought some with the intent to make another pair of joggers, thus breaking my rule. When I took the fabric home I decided I might want to make a dress, so much for not buying new fabric, I tried though!


As with most of 5 out of 4 patterns, there are a whole lot of options to this pattern. I chose to make the mid-rise full length pants with patch pockets, an encased elastic waistband and banded bottoms. For my muslin, I used some cow fabric I got from a friend because it was about the right amount of stretch. My first muslin had some wrinkles on the backs of my thighs, so I scooped out the back crotch curve, added some to the outside of my hips and extended the back pattern piece to add some more space for my thighs. This was along the right lines, I just needed to add a little bit more to the crotch curve and I was happy with it.


Sewing up the pants took almost no time at all. After making a muslin everything was super easy and straightforward. This was my first time using Wonder Tape (well, the Fabricville knockoff version) and it made the patch pockets a piece of cake. Do not skip that step, it's awesome and now I want to use it for everything. I did almost everything on my serger, which was super quick and nicely finished. This was the first time that I threaded the left needle with a different colour, I used a regular thread in burgundy with the fun little wheel that came with the serger and it made the seems very clean.


Overall, I definitely recommend this pattern for joggers, and the tutorial includes great pants-fitting tips, which is worth the money on its own. I'm hoping to make a thicker pair of these for winter lounging, and a fancier pair to wear out in public. I have a lot of other things to make as well, but I can't wait to get back to this pattern! I would have liked to get better pictures, but these will have to do. The angle is a bit off because Andrew is tall, and was having difficulty focusing on the pants (except for this picture, clearly he could focus on my butt).


Details

Pattern: Diana Joggers by 5 out of 4 Patterns
Material: A nice and light sweater knit from the discount section of Fabricville that I fell in love with and intended to use for a sweater of some sort, but is perfect and soft for these pants
Modifications: I didn't need to add any length to the pattern (I did and then removed it), but I needed some adjustments to get the fit I wanted for my rear end. My next pair I will slim out the calves some.
Learning: Pants fitting! There is now a crotch curve tutorial on the 5 out of 4 blog that I really want to try as well. This was also my first yoke, and I am proud to say I only messed it up once.



No comments:

Post a comment