Friday 2 February 2018

Mad for Plaid

This was a labour of love. I brought this pattern, the Cheyenne Tunic, over a year ago along with this fabric, but I have been so intimidated by it that I just now sewed it. I think I was a bit too much in my head, because I made a lot of mistakes with this as well. Part of the issue is that I'm not very good at precision sewing, but I also just wasn't thinking clearly during all the steps. I was committed though, and managed to push through.

I started with a muslin. I guessed that I would need a bit of length added and a broad back adjustment, but I started by sewing up the first muslin without any modifications. I ended up adding a half inch to the width of the shoulders, and then the same amount to the back. I'm tempted to add even more to the back, although now the shoulders fit perfectly. I added one inch to the bodice and a half inch to the sleeve length as well as a sway back adjustment. I graded out at the hips by 2 sizes, but I made the top part a straight medium. I might add some space in the forearms, they are a bit tight.

The fit of this pattern is supposed to be pretty loose, but the first time I wore it to show my family my sister Sarah immediately commented that it looked like a maternity shirt. Not exactly what I was going for, but that's alright, it'll be good for large meals. I like the popover style and am considering lengthening it into a dress at some point, with a belt or drawstring, but it will be a while before I'm ready to try again. I also want to make view A in a flannel.

I am definitely not very good at pattern matching, but to go with that, I also don't care that much. Once I am better at sewing, I might get into obsessive pattern matching, but for now I'm happy with spending less time focusing on it. That being said, I'd like to make this pattern in a solid fabric so I don't have to worry about it at all next time. I really liked making the yoke and placket on the bias, and I think that's the only way I'll make them going forward.

This pattern has nice finishings all throughout it with french seams and everything enclosed. There is also a lot of topstitching and button holes, which brought to my attention that I really need to tune up my sewing machine and I really want to buy myself a new machine now.


Pattern: Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June Handmade
Material: A lovely rayon plaid from Fabricville
Modifications: Broad shoulder adjustment, broad back adjustment, 1 inch in length to the body, half inch in length to the arms, graded out 2 sizes for the hips
Learning: Pay better attention to the pictures in the instructions. This is not the first time I've learned that though, let's hope it sticks this time. I also did my first sleeve placket and popover button placket. This is also one of my first times finishing with french seams, and I might use it more often. I also learned to do a broad back/shoulder adjustment.